Lebrun specialises in complex litigation in EU law and competition
law in highly regulated industries such as banking and finance, energy or ICT.
In competition law, Bruno has built up a recognized expertise in cases of abuse of dominant position, cartels, merger control and state aid control both before the EU Commission and other Member States agencies (Belgium and France in particular) and before the courts.
He has also developed specific skills in complex financial litigation (sovereign debt or distressed financial products).
He has worked in leading international law firms and was a partner at Howrey LLP and Latham & Watkins.
Bruno Lebrun is a member of the Brussels (1994) and Paris (2010) Bars. He is also a member of the International Bar Association.
- Representation of Transgaz in the European Commission's investigation under Article 102 TFEEU
- Recommended in Competition Law - Leaders League 2017
- Best Lawyer in European Law - Chambers 2014-2015
- Legal Experts Europe - Chambers 2012
- Leading individual in the Brussels competition Bar - Chambers Global Guide 2010
Languages: French, English
Books and contributions
- Droit des affaires et Covid-19, Synthèse des règles applicables aux entreprises (VII Droit de la concurrence), Larcier, 2020 (with Ulysse Bertouille)
- Contribution du Cercle Montesquieu sur la révision du programme de clémence lancée par l’Autorité de la concurrence française, 20 March 2015 (with Frédéric Manin)
- Global Competition review, Cartel Regulation, Belgium, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Legal developments in competition law in Belgium, ABA International Section Antitrust Committee's Year in Review, since 2007
- EU Antitrust Litigation: The Need for an Efficient Overall Private and Public Enforcement of antitrust rules, The International Comparative Legal Guide (Cartels & Leniency), 2012
- Definition of Restrictions of Competition by Object: Anything New Since 1966?, The International Comparative Legal Guide, Merger Control, 2011
- Chapter on Merger Control in Belgium, Merger Control Guide, Global Legal Group, 2009
- COVID-19 - Extended Control over Foreign Direct Investments in the EU, Blog Janson, 27 March 2020 (with Ulysse Bertouille)
- COVID-19 - Adjustments of Antitrust and State Aid Rules to Major Disruptions of EU Economy, Blog Janson, 23 March 2020 (with Ulysse Bertouille)
- International Investment Arbitration - Enforcement of intra-EU ICSID awards, Blog Janson, 24 Februari 2020 (with Su-Yi Leung)
- EU Regulation on Foreign Direct Investment Is Now On!, Blog Janson, 11 April 2019 (with Ulysse Bertouille)
- Foreign Direct Investments A Future EU Regulation That Matters !, Blog Janson, 24 January 2019 (with Ulysse Bertouille)
- Restructurations bancaires : l’exigence de répartition des charges (« bail-in ») est compatible avec le droit de l’Union, Blog BuyleLegal, 24 July 2016
- Les conséquences de la nullité des clauses planchers – Conclusions de l’Avocat général Mengozzi du 13 juillet 2016, Blog BuyleLegal, 15 July 2016
- Privacy: a new bridge to the US?, Blog BuyleLegal, 3 Februari 2016
- Journal of European Competition Law & Practice, Commission v EnBW Energie: Non-Disclosure of Leniency Documents (with Laure Bersou)
- The European Commission’s CDS Investigations: How to Balance Stability and Competition in the Financial Sector?, CPI Journal and CPI Antitrust Chronicle, July 2011
- The European Court of Justice boosts private enforcement in the EU, Lexgo, June 2011
- Le droit européen: un espace de libertés souvent inexploité, Special Edition on European Law, La Libre Belgique, 28 Avril 2011
- Legal developments in competition law in Belgium in 2008, The International Lawyer, Volume 43, no. 2, 2009
- Fundamental Rights in European Stability Mechanism, Institut d’Etudes Européennes, University of Brussels, together with the Association of Referendars at the EU Court – 27 April 2018
- L’Avis de l’Autorité de la concurrence sur les centrales d’achats et de référencements, Conférence LSA, Paris - 8 April 2015
- Aides d’Etat et financement de la R&D, Conférence Alma Consulting, Palais Brognart, Paris - 27 March 2015